Sunday, January 24

Hannah's prayer

I have read this passage over the last two days and several things have stuck with me. I think if you'll read it, you'll see why it is has been so good for me.


This is from the first two chapters of 1 Samuel. Hannah was the wife of Elkanah, and for many years she was unable to have children. She (frankly) poured out her heart to God through inconsolable tears, begging God for a son.

"Oh, God of the Angel Armies,
If you'll take a good, hard look at my pain,
If you'll quit neglecting me and go into action for me
By giving me a son,
I'll give him completely, unreservedly to you.
I'll set him apart for a life of holy discipline."

Before that year was over, she gave birth to a son. This was her response...

"I prayed for this child, and God gave me what I asked for. And now I have dedicated him to God. He's dedicated to God for life" Then and there they worshipped God.

Hannah prayed: I'm bursting with God-news! I'm walking on air.
I'm laughing at my rivals. I'm dancing my salvation.
Nothing and no one is holy likeGod,
no rock mountain like our God.
Don't dare talk pretentiously—
not a word of boasting, ever!
For God knows what's going on.
He takes the measure of everything that happens.
The weapons of the strong are smashed to pieces,
while the weak are infused with fresh strength.
The well-fed are out begging in the streets for crusts,
while the hungry are getting second helpings.
The barren woman has a houseful of children,
while the mother of many is bereft.
God brings death and God brings life,
brings down to the grave and raises up.
God brings poverty and God brings wealth;
he lowers, he also lifts up.
He puts poor people on their feet again;
he rekindles burned-out lives with fresh hope,
Restoring dignity and respect to their lives—
a place in the sun!
For the very structures of earth are God's;
he has laid out his operations on a firm foundation.
He protectively cares for his faithful friends, step by step,
but leaves the wicked to stumble in the dark.
No one makes it in this life by sheer muscle!
God's enemies will be blasted out of the sky,
crashed in a heap and burned.
God will set things right all over the earth."

This child was Samuel, whose name means "God has heard". He would go on to be a great leader of ancient Israel and one of the major prophets to prophesy the coming of Christ.

The One who would set things right all over the earth.

Tonight, I am rejoicing over the sweet boy pictured in the post below who was prayed over for many years and is finally here. And still in the midst of continued tragedy in Haiti, holding on to all of the promises the one day, all will be set right.

0 comments: